[EM] Resume: Proportional multi-winner ranked voting methods -

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sun Jun 4 01:10:02 PDT 2017

On 06/04/2017 01:14 AM, Mat Danaher wrote:
> Hi all don't comment on this list much but has anyone got any examples
> of condorcet multi winner variants being used in real life?

A mathematics society is using Schulze STV:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_STV#Use_of_Schulze_STV.
Unfortunately, the method is very complex indeed.

> It is something I'm interested in and am think about making a case for
> using it for a grant awarding trust to decide projects to support... the
> method only has to be understood by trustees who are all fairly astute
> and patient people.

Condorcet multiwinner methods are in general very complex. So I can
think of three ways to resolve this:

- Use a complex Condorcet multiwinner method and rely on precedent, i.e.
that the others who're using it know what they're doing. (In this case,
the mathematics society.)

- Use a simple method that hasn't been used in practice yet. I would
suggest my repeated random Condorcet method, see
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2017-February/001358.html,
as that's the simplest Condorcet multiwinner method I can think of.

- Use a multiwinner method that's not Condorcet or STV but has real
world use. E.g. reweighted range voting, used by the Oscars for visual
effects: http://rangevoting.org/RRV.html#oscar
https://www.oscars.org/sites/oscars/files/89aa_rules.pdf#page=32