[EM] Sequential Best Assigment (multiwinner method)

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Sun Jul 30 00:39:23 PDT 2017

A generalised STV  (which is what is my invention of Binomial STV [BTV])
does not have a residual FPTP in the last round.
By including a rational exclusion count, BTV  [Binomial Transferable
Vote] avoids the problem of excluding candidates, which seems to be what
much of the discussion on this forum is about.
from
Richard Lung.

On 26/07/2017 16:12, Andy Jennings wrote:
> I think you're right that this matches BTV in the major details.  Is
> http://rangevoting.org/BucklinTV.html the best reference for BTV?  It
> doesn't have a page on Electowiki, yet, right?  We should add one.
>
> There aren't many good, simple, rated-ballot, multiwinner systems, so
> it deserves to get talked about more, no?
>
> I wasn't suggesting to change the name, but if you are...
>

> Regarding the quota:  I see what you're saying about the crumbs.  I
> just have reservations about a quota that's not even going to try to
> represent 1/(s+1) of the population.  I realize that STV does it and
> STV has a track record.  But STV does it because it might come down to
> a one-on-one at the end and you want to say that a majority in the
> final round is the same as the quota for all the other rounds.  A
> rated system doesn't have that restriction.  I kind of like approval
> voting in the last round, even if the winner only gets 30-40%.
>
> If we choose one quota for the default, I'd hope we could add a
> footnote that the other one was a possible alternative.
>

> Tiebreaker and deweighting:  I don't feel strongly about these, but
> it's good that we're considering different options, looking for
> simplicity but also looking for corners that cause adverse
> incentives.  I think it's better to recommend good defaults than just
> including a bunch of options.
>
> Tiebreaker: If we were to use Hare quota (and "approval voting" in the
> last round), then the critical grade for the last round is going to be
> 0(F), so a GMJ tiebreaker or "most votes at or above critical" are not
> going to help break ties.  We'd either have to have a different rule
> for the last round, or a second tiebreaker.  "Most votes strictly
> above critical" would do it.
>
> Deweighting: If we wanted to, we could "assign" voters to the
> representatives for whom they were deweighted.  In that case, it would
> be advantageous to deweight in chunks as large as possible.  So
> subtractive deweighting would be better than multiplicative and rules
> that "deweight completely" are good.  But multiplicative is probably
> simpler.
>
> ~ Andy
>
> On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 8:58 AM, Jameson Quinn
> <jameson.quinn at gmail.com <mailto:jameson.quinn at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     This is a good idea.
>
>     But on thinking about it further, I'm not sure whether it's not
>     the same as BTV.
>
>     BTV, like Bucklin, works by gradually lowering a "pseudo-approval
>     threshold", and electing and deweighting candidates as they reach
>     a quota of "pseudo-approvals". Andy's proposal, like MJ, works by
>     directly looking at the "quota-th" highest rating, and electing
>     and deweighting the candidate who's highest by that measure.
>
>     But of course, we know that, aside from tiebreakers, MJ and
>     Bucklin are the same thing. So the more I think about it, the more
>     I think that (aside from quota choice, tiebreaker, and deweighting
> [...]

Richard Lung.
http://www.voting.ukscientists.com
Democracy Science series 3 free e-books in pdf:
https://plus.google.com/106191200795605365085
E-books in epub format:
https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/democracyscience