[EM] Sequential Best Assigment (multiwinner method)

Andy Jennings elections at jenningsstory.com
Wed Jul 26 08:12:32 PDT 2017

I think you're right that this matches BTV in the major details.  Is
http://rangevoting.org/BucklinTV.html the best reference for BTV?  It
doesn't have a page on Electowiki, yet, right?  We should add one.

There aren't many good, simple, rated-ballot, multiwinner systems, so it
deserves to get talked about more, no?

I wasn't suggesting to change the name, but if you are...

Regarding the quota:  I see what you're saying about the crumbs.  I just
have reservations about a quota that's not even going to try to represent
1/(s+1) of the population.  I realize that STV does it and STV has a track
record.  But STV does it because it might come down to a one-on-one at the
end and you want to say that a majority in the final round is the same as
the quota for all the other rounds.  A rated system doesn't have that
restriction.  I kind of like approval voting in the last round, even if the
winner only gets 30-40%.

If we choose one quota for the default, I'd hope we could add a footnote
that the other one was a possible alternative.

Tiebreaker and deweighting:  I don't feel strongly about these, but it's
good that we're considering different options, looking for simplicity but
also looking for corners that cause adverse incentives.  I think it's
better to recommend good defaults than just including a bunch of options.

Tiebreaker: If we were to use Hare quota (and "approval voting" in the last
round), then the critical grade for the last round is going to be 0(F), so
a GMJ tiebreaker or "most votes at or above critical" are not going to help
break ties.  We'd either have to have a different rule for the last round,
or a second tiebreaker.  "Most votes strictly above critical" would do it.

Deweighting: If we wanted to, we could "assign" voters to the
representatives for whom they were deweighted.  In that case, it would be
advantageous to deweight in chunks as large as possible.  So subtractive
deweighting would be better than multiplicative and rules that "deweight
completely" are good.  But multiplicative is probably simpler.

~ Andy