[EM] Sequential Best Assigment (multiwinner method)

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Sun Jul 30 00:39:13 PDT 2017

BTV is what I call Binomial Transferable Vote
V/(S + 1/2) is what I call the Harmonic Mean quota. It is a "compromise"
but it is a principled compromise.
Both are described in my book, Scientific Method of Elections.

from
Richard Lung.

On 25/07/2017 16:58, Jameson Quinn wrote:
> This is a good idea.
>
> But on thinking about it further, I'm not sure whether it's not the
> same as BTV.
>
> BTV, like Bucklin, works by gradually lowering a "pseudo-approval
> threshold", and electing and deweighting candidates as they reach a
> quota of "pseudo-approvals". Andy's proposal, like MJ, works by
> directly looking at the "quota-th" highest rating, and electing and
> deweighting the candidate who's highest by that measure.
>
> But of course, we know that, aside from tiebreakers, MJ and Bucklin
> are the same thing. So the more I think about it, the more I think
> that (aside from quota choice, tiebreaker, and deweighting scheme;
> none of which are really specified by the label "BTV") Andy's proposal
> and BTV are the same thing.
>
> I could be wrong about this... can anybody else check my logic here?
>
> Still. Even if this is just a new name for BTV, it's a good excuse to
> discuss that system.
>
> We could talk about how good it is. Pretty excellent! I like that it
> avoids the horrible center-squeeze breakage of STV. Even though the
> problems with center squeeze are much less in a multiwinner setting
> than in IRV, it's still ugly.
>
> When designing GOLD
> <http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Geographic_Open_List/Delegated_%28GOLD%29_voting>,
> I chose STV rather than BTV as a substrate. That wasn't because I
> prefer STV theoretically; it's just because of its longer track record.
>
> Also, we could talk about the ancillary design decisions: quota
> choice, tiebreaker, and deweighting scheme.
>
> Quota choice: I tend to prefer Droop, or a compromise V/(S+.5), over
> Hare. Basically, when you're assigning the last seat, you're left with
> the voters who are most atypical; the "crumbs" of the party system. If
> you use a Hare quota, then at best you'll find a candidate with some
> appeal to a full quota; but realistically, you might just find the
> biggest of a group of crumbs, who could easily have support from just
> 35-40% of a quota (based on 1/e, my SWAG for this kind of situation).
> If you go with a Droop quota, on the other hand, the entire pool is 2
> quotas; and 2/e is 70-80% of a quota, much closer to fair.
>
> Andy's suggested deweighting scheme might help encourage bigger
> crumbs, but I'm not sure about that.
>
> Tiebreaker: I don't have a lot to say about this. GMJ-style seems like
> a good choice.
>
> Deweighting: This is where things get interesting. You don't want to
> have too much of a free-riding incentive, but you do want to deweight
> the votes which are "more satisfied" with the winners and not-deweight
> those which are "less satisfied" with the future potential winners.
>
> I like Andy's concept of subtractive, rather than multiplicative,
> deweighting. It makes things a little bit harder to describe, but it
> does mean that somebody who is "halfway decisive" twice will be fully
> [...]

Richard Lung.
http://www.voting.ukscientists.com
Democracy Science series 3 free e-books in pdf:
https://plus.google.com/106191200795605365085
E-books in epub format:
https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/democracyscience