[EM] (2) No Wasted Votes

steve bosworth stevebosworth at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 3 05:22:22 PDT 2017

From: Kristofer Munsterhjelm <km_elmet at t-online.de>

Sent: Sunday, April 2, 2017 9:08 PM

To: steve bosworth

Subject: Re: [EM] (2) No Wasted Votes

On 04/02/2017 10:48 PM, steve bosworth wrote:

> [...]

S:  Below, I’ll add some [necessary clarifications and my answers in square brackets] to your question:

K:  I can't at the moment read the details, but let's just check if I've got

this right.

Is it right that your method effectively works like this?

- For [APR’s general election of] 650 seats, input the votes for [all the different candidates running to represent each of APR’s official] associations.

- Run IRV and eliminate first preference losers [and later, also some losers who had received some lower preferences transferred to them from previously eliminated candidates] one at a time until only 650 candidates are left [and each citizen’s one vote has been added to the “weighted vote of one of the winning candidates].

- The remaining 650 candidates get weights according to the number of

first [and other] preference votes they have.

[ In the event that none of a citizen’s explicit preference candidates is elected, APR’s ballot allows her to require her first preference but eliminated candidate to transfer her one vote to the elected candidate he believes will represent both her and him most faithfully [e.g. see the article’s Endnotes 3 & 4.  This means that each citizen’s vote is guaranteed to be added to the “weighted vote” of the member in the legislature whose worldview is most probably closest to hers.  Thus, no citizen’s vote is wasted quantitatively or qualitatively.  Using your number of 650, this APR legislature would proportionately represent up to 650 of the most popular worldviews held by the electorate.  To exaggerate, this result would contrast sharply with the largely 650 clones that would probably be elected if MJ were used instead for such a multi-winner election.  (I see this last addition as addressing your following suggestion regarding MJ.]

What I meant by "running IRV a bunch of times" was running the

elimination logic (each IRV round) a bunch of times - until only 650 (or

however many) were left. If I was imprecise, I'm sorry.

The rest should still hold, however. If MJ is better than IRV, then a

multi-winner generalization of MJ (such as my Bucklin methods) should be

better than a multi-winner generalization of IRV [No, I do not yet see how] .

On 04/02/2017 10:48 PM, steve bosworth wrote:

- For 650 seats, input the votes for the different associations.
- Run IRV and eliminate first preference losers one at a time until only
650 candidates are left.
- The remaining 650 candidates get weights according to the number of
first preference votes they have.