[EM] Fwd: U/P voting: new name for simple 3-level method.

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Thu Sep 8 14:13:07 PDT 2016

C: But above you are suggesting that U/P somehow uses a both a 2-slot
ballot and a 3-slot ballot. Which is it?

J:3 slots. Where and how do I suggest otherwise?

C: I pasted in where you wrote (in a message you said I was free to send
to EM) this:

> J: "On the 3-slot ballots, they vote A>B. On the 2-slot ballots, they
> vote A. These are perfectly consistent."

C: That was in response to me asking you how, in an example you gave,
how some voters were able to vote one
"unacceptable" candidate above another (they voted A>>B>C).

J: In MTA, if no candidate is majority preferred and several are
majority approved/acceptable, the most approved wins.

C: No, that is MCA.

MTA says that if the most top-rated candidate is top-rated by a majority
then s/he wins, otherwise if more than one candidate
is approved (voted above bottom) on a majority of ballots then the one
of them that is most top-rated wins, otherwise the most
approved candidate wins.

And I now notice that is that last clause that makes it different from
U/P.  When no candidate is majority approved it can give
a different result.

I would say usually the Approval winner pairwise-beats the Top-Ratings
winner, and of course is  more "broadly supported".

MTA (with default rating bottom) I think is my favourite of the methods
that fail Irrelevant Ballots.

Chris Benham