[EM] U/P voting: new name for simple 3-level method.

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Wed Sep 7 21:52:01 PDT 2016

Hi Jameson,
MCA (the one with three slots) has the simpler description surely? If there's a majority preferred, elect the most preferred; else elect the most approved (least disapproved).
There is another method where you elect the approval winner unless there are multiple candidates with a majority, in which case preferred ratings break the "tie."
Your earlier message says "The winner is the non-disqualified candidate with the most approvals" but I assume this should say "most preferred."
So you are saying if nobody manages to get majority approval, you will only be using the top ratings and ignoring "acceptable" ratings? That is unusual; my instinct is that if we can't find a majority we should try to find votes to get as close as possible. There's a risk that you are collecting enough information to permit concluding e.g. that a simultaneous approval and Condorcet winner lost.
I don't see why you are making rules for unmarked candidates if your intended advantage is simplicity. I believe you explained why you have this to somebody else, so I won't ask you to repeat, but I wonder about the effect of the sentence that starts "And second." You're saying that if A has majority preferred+acceptable, but is not top two on preferred ratings, to count blanks as disapproved in hopes that this might remove A's majority approval (or rather, non-disapproval)? Aside from the weird Clone-Loser issue in having a top-two rule on a ratings ballot, it feels a little schizophrenic to me that you really want winners to have majority non-disapproval yet do not actually think it indicates a worthy candidate.
I tend to think we will be lucky if we can consistently get even one majority non-disapproved candidate in elections. In a U/P race with two major candidates, one of those is basically guaranteed to get the label penalty in the next race.
Kevin