[EM] (3) MJ -- The easiest method to 'tolerate'

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Wed Sep 7 14:18:21 PDT 2016

On 9/8/2016 5:01 AM, Jameson Quinn wrote:

> I am completely baffled by the idea that IBIFA is less complicated
> than U/P.

C: I never said that it was. I just said that U/P  is "quite
complicated", meaning that it is a lot more complicated than Approval
(and more complicated than MTA). Its extra complexity over
those methods doesn't seem to buy much.

if you include in U/P 's explanation all the palaver about the default
ratings it becomes quite long and complex. 3-slot IBIFA can be defined
fairly succinctly, but I'm
not sure how well the "man in the street" would understand it.

> I also don't agree that .. U/P "nearly always simply elects the
> Approval winner".

C:  Again, I'd be interested in seeing a plausible example of when it
doesn't.

> Condorcet versus Majority Condorcet: I do not believe in the concept
> of "irrelevant ballots", or that we should "simplify" a scenario by
> removing a balanced set of ballots.

C: Why not?

> Dominant in top-ratings: taking this as a strong argument for who the
> correct winner is, is inherently subject to clone effects

C: I never used the phrase "dominant in top-ratings".  These are
supposed to be ratings (instead of simply rankings). In that case clones
are technically supposed to be rated the same.

At one point I said that C would be "positionally dominant" if all C's
supporters truncated, meaning C would have both the highest Top Rating
score and the highest Approval score.

> After all, as long as we're making up arbitrary scenarios, we can
> arbitrarily assume that the 3 A voters are in fact attempting strategy.

C: No, you have to be able to justify the result on the assumption that
all the votes are sincere, or at least are all equally likely to be
sincere. Otherwise you'd be able to argue
that in this or that scenario the most ridiculous method  "gave the best
result".

Chris Benham