[EM] (3) MJ -- The easiest method to 'tolerate'

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 12:31:52 PDT 2016

Once again, I'm going to stand behind my view that U/P is a better
practical reform proposal than IBIFA, and that there are cases where U/P
gets the right answer and IBIFA doesn't. But once again, I'm going to
preface it by saying I think IBIFA is a great method overall.

So. Remaining debates.

Condorcet versus Majority Condorcet: I do not believe in the concept of
"irrelevant ballots", or that we should "simplify" a scenario by removing a
balanced set of ballots.

Dominant in top-ratings: taking this as a strong argument for who the
correct winner is, is inherently subject to clone effects. My "unserious"
example was a (serious) attempt to show this.

"It seems that you want a quite complicated method with a nearly as strong
as possible truncation incentive and that nearly always
simply elects the Approval winner (while somehow "tending to respect"
majority Condorcet without actually meeting the Majority
Condorcet criterion)."

I am completely baffled by the idea that IBIFA is less complicated than
U/P. If you want to, we can each post a 3-minute video where we explain our
method to a random "person on the street" and then ask the person to
explain it back to us. I'll bet that this would show U/P as far simpler to
understand. If you agree, I'll let you set any reasonable procedure for
each choosing our subject/explainee.

I also don't agree that the U/P has a "nearly as strong as possible
truncation incentive" or "nearly always simply elects the approval winner".
On the first point: I think that in a chicken dilemma situation, U/P would
lead to less truncation than many other methods, including things like MCA
or MJ, because in U/P, chicken truncation is only helpful precisely insofar
as it's risky. On the second: I think that there is a not-insignificant
subset of voters who strongly want to cast a ballot that's expressive
enough to distinguish their favorite from their preferred frontrunner. In
approval, such people would bullet vote; in U/P, they could still rate the
compromise frontrunner as acceptable. This could easily lead to different
(and better) outcomes.