[EM] Fwd: The Top-Set. Method-Merit.

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Wed Sep 7 05:54:11 PDT 2016

Mike,

What happened to the Michael Ossipoff who coined the Chicken Dilemma
criterion?

It seems to me that your argument here for Approval applies equally well
to any method that meets FBC and for which
the voter's  best strategy to elect a member of hir  "top set" is vote
them all equal-top and the rest all equal-bottom
(and if they all do that the result will be the same as Approval).

But if some voters are willing to take some strategic risk for the sake
of being more expressive, or they are more certain of
their ranking than the location of their approval threshold, I don't see
why they shouldn't be indulged.

In view of my sentence before last, I'm puzzled by the inclusion of
"Plain Bucklin" (that doesn't allow equal-ranking) on your
list of "best rank methods".

Chris Benham