[EM] Why I prefer ranked-choice voting to approval voting

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Sun Oct 16 03:56:20 PDT 2016

On 10/16/2016 3:03 AM, robert bristow-johnson wrote:

> still seems that Condorcet -> Ranked Pairs -> Margins is the simplest,
> mostly fair (doesn't deviate from Schulze-Margins) method to simply
> adopt this principle: "When more voters mark their ballots that they
> prefer Candidate A over Candidate B than the number of voters who
> prefer the contrary, then Candidate B is not elected."

Robert,

Take this example:

40: C
35: A>B
25: B

There is no Condorcet winner.   Margins (using Ranked Pairs, Schulze,
River or MinMax) elects A.

Please take off your Pairwise-Margins glasses for a moment and put on
your Common-sense Positional ones, and then tell us
how you would feel as a C supporter about C losing to A.

Electing A here is a failure of the "Plurality criterion" and a very bad
failure of Later-no-Help (assuming that we don't elect A if the 35 A>B
had just voted A).

All Condorcet methods fail Later-no-Help, but in my view no acceptable
method fails Plurality.  (IRV meets both Plurality and Later-no-Help).

http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Plurality_criterion

http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Later-no-help_criterion

>  Who can argue with that??  Whenever Candidate B is elected when more
> of us wanted Candidate A or Candidate C or someone else, i mean WTF?
>  how can anyone who believes in majority rule and one-person-one-vote
> disagree with that?

Some people think that it is more important that the method meets
Later-no-Help, and so isn't vulnerable to Burial strategy; or that the
method
meets the Favorite  Betrayal Criterion and so has no order-reversal
Compromise incentive.

But I nonetheless like compliance with the Condorcet criterion.

>  so i think, as long as we may leave the details about what to do
> about cycles to a future debate, it's an acceptable semantic to use
> the term "Condorcet method" or "Condorcet voting" in the discussion of
> RCV.

That isn't very fair on IRV (aka RCV, aka Alternative Vote) because then
the comparison is between (on the one hand) an actual method with some
problems and
(on the other hand) a motherhood criterion (with a presumption that at
some time in the future we'll discover some way of resolving cycles
without any problems).

Chris  Benham