[EM] Why I prefer ranked-choice voting to approval voting

Ralph Suter RLSuter at aol.com
Tue Oct 11 11:35:05 PDT 2016

I agree with everything Jameson says except for one point in his ps. I
don't think it's important that voters know exactly how votes are
tallied to decide the winner as long as they understand the basic idea
that in Condorcet voting, the winning candidate is the one who outranks
every other candidate in one to one comparisons. Furthermore, figuring
out how votes are tallied in IRV voting is not especially easy either
for most voters, despite the arguments about it's simplicity that IRV
supporters often make, which I have never found terribly persuasive.

One other point I'd like to make is that in some voting situations, such
as voting in informal meetings for options that most participants aren't
terribly passionate about (e.g., "where and when shall we meet again"),
approval voting is often vastly preferable to any ranked choice method
and has a much lower cognitive burden. That's why I believe we need to
discuss the relative merits of different voting methods not just for the
purpose of elections for public office but for all kinds of voting
situations.

It may also be (and probably is) that some methods are better for some
kinds of public elections than for other kinds. For example, approval
may be preferable to any ranked choice method in many if not most
elections for city council, while ranked choice may be preferable to
approval for the U.S. presidential election.

-Ralph Suter