[EM] Trying to have CD, protect strong top-set, and protect middle candidates too

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Nov 21 12:55:32 PST 2016

Chris,

I'm convinced; the default approval should be top set only.  How much
control the voters have over adjusting that cutoff on their ballots is
still up for grabs.  I like keeping it simple, but Michael nade some good
points about allowing voters to specify individual disapprovals.

Good point about presenting half-power-truncation as symmetric completion
for truncated candidates.  It's easier to motivate it from that perspective.

The more I think about it the more I like symmetric completion for all
equal rankings below the approval cutoff, not just for truncation.

Then not only do we have mono-add-plump, but also this more detailed
property:

If a new ballot is added that doesn't rank any (previously) disqualified
candidate above all of her disqualifiers or equal to any approved
disqualifier, then the new winner will be from the candidates that are
approved on the new ballot.

What more could we ask for by way of participation incentive?

Forest