[EM] Small National Assembly. Bottom-Up government.

Monkey Puzzle araucaria.araucana at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 13:21:23 PST 2016

Michael and Fred:

Looking at the problem from a higher level, one could instead ask, what is
the problem that we are trying to address with legislatures to begin with?

One could argue, along the lines of The Wisdom of Crowds, that governing
can be compared to a genetic modeling problem.  If that is the case, the
part of government that proposes and argues new laws can be compared to
genetic diversity, while the accept or reject portion of government can be
compared to natural selection.  That would lead one to the proposition of
using Proportional Representation in the lower house, and centrist
aggregation for the upper house and executive branches.

So what is the best way to represent the lower house?

Consider http://www.thirty-thousand.org/

At one time, there was one representative for every 30K voters.  We are now
some large distance away from that.

Historically, the number of representatives per candidate approximately
followed the curve of the cube root of the population, until the number of
representatives was frozen in 1913 at 435.

Personally, I would prefer a combination of more representatives with PR,
so that almost everyone would feel that their voice was represented in the
lower house of the legislature.

The problem with the Bottom Up proposal is that it is basically a
hierarchical system like the current Democratic Party Caucuses, and winnows
away true proportional representation by discretizing at each level.  An
example of premature optimization, if you will.

 Frango ut patefaciam -- I break so that I may reveal