[EM] Small National Assembly. Bottom-Up government.

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Tue Nov 15 10:03:44 PST 2016

Good Morning, Monk

re: "... what is the problem that we are trying to address with
      legislatures to begin with?"

The problem we are trying to address is the quality of the people
elected to our government.  We need people who represent the public
interest, not special interests.

re: "One could argue, along the lines of The Wisdom of Crowds,
      that governing can be compared to a genetic modeling
      problem."

There is no need to complicate the issue.  There is nothing wrong with
the structure of our government.  Our problems flow from the caliber of
the people elected to public office.  As foreseen by George Washington,
cunning, ambitious, and unprincipled men have used partisanship to
defeat the will of the people.  We need to replace those cunning,
ambitious, and unprincipled men with men and women who will serve the
commonweal with integrity.

re: "The problem with the Bottom Up proposal is that it is
      basically a hierarchical system ..."

That's not the problem, that's the benefit.  There is, among us, every
scrap of wisdom and ability available to society.  We must sift through
this abundance to find the individuals best suited to address and
resolve contemporary problems.  In doing so, we must consider both
common and conflicting interests.  We must absorb diverse interests in a
way that serves the common good.  That is best accomplished by a
pyramidal process where the individuals that advance are judged by their
peers to be the most attuned to the needs of the community and have the
qualities required to advocate the common good.

re: "Frango ut patefaciam -- I break so that I may reveal"

Confundunt volo quaestionem -- "I want to confuse the issue", seems more
likely.

Fred Gohlke