[EM] [CES #15270] Re: PAR: nearly-equivalent rules

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 12:18:00 PST 2016

The advantages of PAR over score are:

1. It doesn't promote brinksmanship between allied candidates (that is,
chicken dilemma strategy). Note that this is important whenever voters
think that the election might be a chicken dilemma, not just in cases where
it actually is one.

2. The ballot is simpler.

3. There is less of an advantage for strategically sophisticated groups
over strategically unsophisticated ones.

4. I believe that because of (3), PAR would more reliably elect the
Condorcet winner in center squeeze scenarios, especially in the most common
cases where the Condorcet winner was the true utility winner.