[EM] [CES #15268] Re: PAR: nearly-equivalent rules

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 12:12:14 PST 2016

Ted is right. This latest version of PAR is in fact O(N²) summable as a
whole. The tallies you need:
P(x): the number of "prefers" for X
a(x): the number of explicit "accepts" for X
B(x): the number of blanks for X on ballots that have at least one explicit
"reject"
A(x,y):the number of "accepts" for X on ballots that do not prefer Y

Here are the steps expressed using those quantities:

1. Define A(x) to be a(x) for x such that P(x)<25%, and a(x)+B(x) for all
other x. Define R(x) to be N-P(x)-A(x).
2. If there are any candidates such that R(x)<=50%, find the y that
maximizes P(y)*I(R(y)<=50%) (where I(...) is 1 if ... is true and 0
otherwise).
3. Define T(x) as P(x)+A(x,y).
4. If y maximizes T(y), then y wins. Otherwise, the winner is the candidate
z who maximizes N-R(z) (or equivalently, P(z)+A(z).)