[EM] PAR: nearly-equivalent rules

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 11:04:44 PST 2016

Another nearly-equivalent way of stating it that gives valid approval
scores for all candidates as a byproduct:

   1. *Voters can Prefer, Accept, or Reject each candidate.* Default is
   "Reject" for voters who do not explicitly reject any candidates, and
   "Accept" otherwise.
   2. *Candidates over 25% Prefer, and less than 50% reject, are "viable"*.
   3. Each candidate gets 1 point for each "prefer".
   4. Each candidate with over 25% prefer gets 1 point for each "accept" on
   a ballot that prefers no viable candidates.
   5. Each candidate with over 25% prefer gets 1 point for each "accept" on
   a ballot that prefers some viable candidate, but does not prefer the
   candidate who's leading after step 4.
   6. The winner is the candidate with the highest points.