[EM] PAR: nearly-equivalent rules

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 10:47:27 PST 2016

Thinking about PAR and the electoral college, I realized that there is a
different way to state the PAR rules:

   1. *Voters can Prefer, Accept, or Reject each candidate.* Default is
   "Reject" for voters who do not explicitly reject any candidates, and
   "Accept" otherwise.
   2. A candidate is "viable" if they are rejected by under 50%.
   3. Each ballot gives 1 point to each candidate it prefers. Ballots which
   prefer no viable candidates also give 1 point to each candidate they
   accept, so long as that candidate is preferred by at least 25%.
   4. Now find the viable candidate with the most points, if any, and redo
   step 3 from scratch as if only that candidate were viable.
   5. The winner is the candidate with the most points.

This could potentially differ from PAR in that it waits slightly longer to
"reveal" the preferences of candidates with under 25% preferences. In
practice, I doubt this would typically make any difference.

The procedure above is more complicated than PAR's, but the advantage is
that it produces counts which include the disqualified candidates, and thus
is suitable for combining with totals from non-PAR systems such as
approval, plurality, or "pre-elimination totals" from IRV.