[EM] Top-two Approval Pairwise Runoff (TTAPR)

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Thu Nov 10 14:21:07 PST 2016

Hello,
I'm mainly saying that (purely in theory) the runoff method shouldn't behave any differently from Approval (i.e. if the nominators know what they are doing and voters don't mind clones). I don't see an advantage to having the voters pick between two clones when (in theory, again) those clones wouldn't even be there, save for the incentives of the method. You could counter my criticism by saying a mechanism is allowed to be "theoretically" pointless if in practice it would be OK. Harder to sell such a method though, I think.
The method doesn't satisfy Participation or IIA. Notice that deleting the loser of the final runoff does not necessarily preserve the original winner. And adding ballots that approve the winner can change who the winner is up against, making him lose.
Kevin