[EM] Top-two Approval Pairwise Runoff (TTAPR)

Monkey Puzzle araucaria.araucana at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 15:16:14 PST 2016

Thank you for your reply, Kevin.  It is nice to get clarification on an
11-year-old thread :-).

If you have by now seen subsequent replies, you will note that Jameson
Quinn proposed a refinement which I think might be better than the original
method.  Call it Reweighted Approval Pairwise (RAP) to avoid potentially
derogatory acronyms:

Graded ballots with approval cutoff (A > B > C approved > D disapproved > E
> F).

Pick approval winner X for first runoff seat.

Reweight all X-approving ballots by 1/2 (D'Hondt) or 1/3 (Sainte-Laguë) [at
the moment I'm leaning toward 1/2].

Pick reweighted approval winner Y for second runoff seat.

Kristofer Munsterhjelm noted that a second n^2 array could be accumulated
summably at the same time as the pairwise array to assist in the Y choice.

The winner is the pairwise winner (PW) of X vs. Y.  Call the pairwise loser
PL.

Adding any ballot that approves PW but does not approve PL should only add
to PW's approval or the PW>PL pairwise vote.  So this ballot should never
be eliminated by reweighted approval.  The ballot increases or does not
change PW vs. PL pairwise.  Therefore this method meets a weak
participation criterion.

The method could fail strong participation if the additional ballot
approved both PW and PL, causing one or the other to lose to a third
candidate.  However, I would argue that the clone independence conferred by
reweighted approval voting would tend to discourage this in most cases.

Similarly, I believe the method passes a weak IIA if the irrelevant
candidate is neither X or Y.  Most voters would consider even the pairwise
loser to be relevant, in my opinion.

Ted

 Frango ut patefaciam -- I break so that I may reveal