[EM] Holy grail: PAR with FBC?

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 22:58:41 PST 2016

Well, it's a little complicated for offering to the public.

I've asked about methods' acceptability. Alright, I'll be truthful: The
conclusions below are (mostly, but not entirely) only from asking one
person.

Approval: Yes. Some people object to it at first, but the objections are
all answerable. Don't let anyone tell you "It needs study."  It's been
studied. What's needed is for practice to catch up with study. Approval's
simple enough that a few minutes' conversation is sufficient "study".

Score: Acceptable, but not as much as Approval. But when I explain that
people seem to do better in Score than in Approval, because it softens
their voting errors (overompromise & rivalry), then Score is fully
acceptable.

MDDTR: Yes. A simple & brief rule.

IRV: Can be explained briefly (like all the proposable methods).

(Repeatedly, eliminate from the rankings the candidate currently at the top
of fewest rankings.)

Popular with activists, organizations & progressive parties. Not as good as
the methods that I propose, but not bad, if you don't expect much for
voters not in a mutual majority.

Bucklin: Too wordy. But maybe can be acceptably explained as stepwise
Approval. Approval given one candidate at a time, according to rankings. Of
course, as you know, Bucklin, during the Progressive Era, was used in at
least 39 cities.

Approval, Score & Bucklin have use-precedence, and that might make them the
only methods that would be accepted for a 1st reform from Plurality.

IRV too, of course, but I'm sure we all agree that we should try for better
than that. Acceptable, but not among the best, or the ones that I propose.

Well, let's look at that. IRV's problem is that the CWs, if smallest, can
be immediately eliminated before you can help hir (unless you
favorite-bury). But in Bucklin the CWs can lose if hir voters don't plump.
And they might not, if it isn't reliably-known who the CWs is.

But, in Bucklin, you can protect the CWs by top-rating hir, thereby giving
hir an immediate vote (instead of waiting for hir turn way down in your
ranking) before s/he gives away the election by giving it to the other wing.

And, as I was saying: If your favorite is big enough to eliminate the CWs,
then s/he's big enough to be well-known (unless there's a media blackout on
non-Republocrats, like now).  So the CWs's voters will know well about your
candidate. For that reason, if their and your candidates are close and
similar enough that you like the CWs, & consider hir in your top-set or
strong top-set, then most likely the CWs's voters won't transfer to the
opposite wing when s/he gets eliminated.

I've just been stating some mitigations of IRV's problem. And, aside from
that problem, especially if you're majority-favored, IRV has a lot of good
properties, and is strategy-free if you're sure that you're
majority-favored.

But I want things that IRV doesn't offer. Better guarantees for the voter
who _isn't_ majority-protected, because not everyone is (I'm probably not).

By the way, I define majority-protected as:

A voter is majority-protected if a majority prefer at least part of hir
strong top-set to everyone else.

Majority protected is more than and better than just being in a
mutual-majority. It means that you're in a mutual majority that doesn't
reach beyond your strong top-set.

Of course, by that definition, there's no such thing as the
"majority-protected" distinction if you don't have a strong top-set.

Anyway, PAR is complicated for a public proposal. I know that you only
suggest it for a 2nd reform...a reform to replace one better method with
another.

...probably after Approval, Score or Bucklin.

But PAR is still complicated. But, in the future when Approval, Score or
Bucklin has been in use, of course it isn't possible to say for sure that
PAR would still be too complicated.

One more thing: Shouldn't the default rating always be Bottom?

Otherwise everyone will be Accepting a candidate that they don't even know
about.

Michael Ossipoff