[EM] Holy grail: PAR with FBC?

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon Nov 7 17:25:22 PST 2016

Hi Jameson,
Except for a couple of details I have a method like this on the wiki (called CdlA). The differences are that I don't have step 2 at all, and in step 4 instead of "don't prefer the leader" I have "reject the leader."
Under my method, FBC is violated because if my favorite happens to become a tally leader, this could cause other voters, who reject my favorite, to provide additional preferences that I may not myself like. (Whereas, if I had not top-rated my favorite, the other voters' preferences may have stayed concealed.) Generally speaking we have to guarantee that raising a favorite to equal-top won't change the winner unless it makes the favorite win. Alternatives are possible, but we would have to be extremely careful in how we use the information.
I believe under your method, the only time a voter doesn't eventually upgrade his "accepts" into "prefers" is if he prefers every tally leader that ever comes up. I guess most of the time, accepts and prefers end up counting the same. But the concern would be that there are ballots out there that prefer all the tally leaders (including my compromise choice, but excluding my favorite) and accept some candidates worse than my compromise. In that case I could regret voting for my favorite because of how it affects the influence contributed by other voters.
I tend to appreciate methods along these lines, though, because they emulate, to some extent, a realistic process of group decision making.
Kevin