[EM] Anti-defection strategy device for IBIFA

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Fri Nov 4 19:25:53 PDT 2016

On 11/5/2016 7:58 AM, Jameson Quinn wrote:

> Mike: "Center-squeeze" was defined as the problem of protecting a CWs,
> when the CWs is the least favorite candidate.
>
> Then how does Conditional Approval worsen that problem?
>
> ...compared to ordinary Approval?
>
> You mean voters might apply the conditional option when approving the
> CWs?
>

> Jameson: Yes.
>
> Mike: No, that option is only for chicken-dilemma situations. The CWs
> isn't the "B" in the chicken-dilemma scenario. B in that scenario
> isn't CWs.
>
> Jameson: I think voters will not always be sophisticated about
> strategy. They might use the wrong strategy and cause a breakdown.

If voters top-rate their favourites and only give out conditional
approvals (and no unconditional below-top approvals) to some other
candidates
(that might include the "sincere CW") then that means they are prepared
to accept some significant risk to get their favourites elected.

In other words it means the voters don't care very much about electing a
"CWs" that isn't their favourite. And if they don't, why should you?

48 C
25 A
27 B>>A

Is this a "breakdown"?   We know that A pairwise beats C and is probably
the centrist, but any candidate could be the "CWs" and maybe there
isn't one.

Chris Benham