[EM] Voting-System Choice for Polls (Just one more thing I want to say)

Toby Pereira tdp201b at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 20 09:50:45 PST 2016

With this, the changeable score vote won't necessarily find the Condorcet winner, but I think this would be a feature rather than a bug. For example, if there are two frontrunners (A and B) and a "nobody" candidate (C), you might have the following preferences:
49: A>C>B49: B>C>A2: C>A>B
C is the Condorcet winner, but the voters who put this candidate second might still consider them unfit or have no opinion on them. The 98 A or B voters might give zeros initially to both the other two candidates, so then there is unlikely to ever be a strategic push that gets C elected.
Also, even if not everyone is engaged enough to want to change their vote at any point, it should still yield decent results. It does also depend on the type of poll, and I think there would be some online polls that it would be suited to.
Toby

      From: Michael Ossipoff <email9648742 at gmail.com>

And for those that are likely to have an involved electorate that are likely to be knowledgeable about the system, I would suggest score voting but with live totals published and changeable votes. So people can enter their scores, but if the current result suggested they will need to adopt a more strategic approach, they can change their vote accordingly. The only other thing I would add is that the end time should probably be in some way non-deterministic. Otherwise the live updates are likely to be less effective. People might withhold their vote until the last minute, or have a completely false vote that they change at the last minute. So you might have 24 hours guaranteed (or however long is deemed appropriate), and then it might randomly end with a half life of an hour or something (which could be longer if the initial guaranteed time is longer).

Yes, that would be a good reliable way to find the CWs. It could be feasible in a meeting-room, but, for most online polls, it isn't feasible. For one thing, it's difficult enough to get people to vote once.