[EM] Voting-System Choice for Polls (Just one more thing I want to say)

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 13:28:31 PST 2016

> Michael Ossipoff wrote:
>
> Because I wanted people to vote, and because IRV is so popular and
> relatively well-known, I designated IRV as the count-rule.
>
> (I told people to rank only the candidates they approve of.)
>

> That is a bit odd, since IRV meets Later-no-Harm and so there's never any
> strategic point in truncating.

Sure, that was a mis-statement: It was for the  _MDDA_ poll that I said to
rank only the candidates the voter approves of. ...not for the IRV poll.

In the IRV poll, I and some others voted a complete ranking.

For the PoliticalForums poll on voting-systems, the alternatives were:

Plurality
Approval
Score
MDDA

I wanted to include a ranking-method. But I only wanted to include 1
ranking-method, because I didn't want to ask participants to read about
more than 1 unfamiliar method or rank-count rule.

I chose MDDA because it (along with MDDAsc) is the best for elections, and
is very briefly-defined--something that can make all the difference in
poll-participation.

And, rather than define a different rank-count for the poll's designated
count-rule, it seemed simpler to just designate MDDA (even though what's
best for elections isn't necessarily best for a poll).

> Of course, it's been pointed out that methods that elect the pair-winner,
> among the winners by 2 different methods, tend to fail FBC.
>

> And Mono-raise. It usually causes vulnerability (or greater vulnerability)
> to Push-over strategy.

For polls where offensive strategy seems more likely, I'll use:

Pairwise-Winner (MAM,  Smith,MMPO)

With the Smith set limiting what can be considered for winning, I don't
think there's any need to let it otherwise change the MMPO count, by
affecting the alternatives' maximum pairwise opposition..

...which could cause some unexpected, unintended results of one's ballot.

Maybe it would be more convenient to just call it:

P(MAM, Smith,MMPO)

By combining MAM's 1st-rate burial-deterrence with MMPO's automatic
reliable chicken-dilemma defection prevention, that seems the best choice
for counting rank-balloting polls, if the goal is to avoid successful
offensive strategy.

But any reasons otherwise are welcome. Because I might sometimes want to
use the best anti-strategy rank-count, I'm interested in any reasons why
P(MAM, Smith,MMPO) could be improved on.

Michael Ossipoff