[EM] 1/r as a voting system.

⸘Ŭalabio‽ Walabio at MacOSX.Com
Sun Apr 17 14:20:19 PDT 2016

	Date: 	 Sun, 17 Apr 2016 14:43:35 -0400
	From: 	 Fred Gohlke <fredgohlke at verizon.net>
	Subject: 	 Re: 	 [EM] 1/r as a voting system.

> 	Can you suggest a practical way for a large electorate to sift among themselves to find the best advocates of the public interest?

> 	Fred Gohlke

	This is technically beyond the scope of the post, but to get on the ballot, candidates would need to get more signatures than the square-root of the population who will vote by the filing deadline:

	Let us suppose that a candidate runs for president of a country with a population of 100,000,000.  The candidate would have to get over a Myriad (10,000) signatures by the filing deadline.

¿What if shenanigans keep a candidate off of the ballot?
	Always have a space on the ballot for write-ins.

	This is how I would imagine the election would work:

	0.	Gather signatures before the deadline.
	1.	Once on the ballot, candidates can use only governmental money for campaigning (we waste at least 10%, probably 20%, and maybe as much as 30% on tax breaks, subsidies, and pork the rich buy in campaign-contributions, so using 1% of the budget for campaigning, but requiring candidates to only use that money and forbidding lying would be a great investment) and will be struck from the ballot for lying.  Write-Ins are always allowed.
	2.	Hold a primary with the independents treated like a party.
	3.	Have a Top-2 RunOff.
	4.	Have the general election.
	5	Have a Top-2 RunOff.

	I hope that I answered your questions satisfactorily.