[EM] 1/r as a voting system.

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Tue Apr 19 06:45:39 PDT 2016

Thank you, alabio.  I know my post went beyond the method you outlined
and I appreciate you describing what you have in mind for the selection
of candidates.  I gather you came up with it quickly and I hope we can
improve on it.

The problem with petition-type systems is that they are exploited by
rabble-rousers; people who are experts are inflaming the public passion
on issues like women's rights or terrorism.  Such people are rarely good
advocates of the public interest.  They lack the qualities needed to
meet the extremely broad range of problems that face our government:
global warming, diminishing water supply, bureaucracy, financial
predators, increasing poverty, and a broader range of public problems
than I can relate.  We have no shortage of people with the intellect and
the integrity to resolve these problems, the difficulty is in devising a
method of finding them and raising them to public office.

Fred Gohlke