[EM] Update from a real Condorcet deployment

Richard Lung voting at ukscientists.com
Mon Nov 9 10:38:31 PST 2015

Hello Prof. Myers,

Just reading your message, I would guess these Condorcet polls are
proportionately weighted.
It can make a big difference, even over-turn a whole theoretical edifice.
I once (in a book called Beyond Numeracy)came across a contrived
election example, using five different voting systems, all disagreeing
with each other. (I have seen its like, even on the most prestigious of
web-sites.) I don't blame it for being contrived. But it was obvious
that the different out-comes were the inevitable result of using more or
less rudimentary counting procedures, including First Past The Post,
Supplementary Vote and Instant Run-off Voting/Alternative Vote.
Then I checked whether a fourth system of Condorcet pairings of
candidates were weighted.And they weren't. (I had learned weighting from
statistics. I didn't know it was already a recognised election method,
by Kemeny, I believe.)

I did the arithmetic. Lo and behold! Weighted Condorcet now agreed with
the fifth method, Borda method, on the most popuar candidate. These were
the two methods that made best use of the preferential information. My
old statistics lecturer said the best statistical test is the one that
makes the most use of the information. Here was a demonstration of that
truth for election methods.
Yet the whole purpose of that text example had been to prove the
opposite, contending that there is no best election method, as
demonstrated by the criteria of social choice theory.

I have discussed these matters in my second of two e-books on election
reform and research, whose links I just posted on this e-mail forum.

 From Richard Lung.