[EM] Steve 1st APR dialogue with Andy Jennings

steve bosworth stevebosworth at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 8 23:26:41 PST 2015

Steve 1st APR dialogue with
Andy

  Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 13:59:37 -0700
> From: Andy Jennings <elections at jenningsstory.com>
> To: Election Methods <election-methods at electorama.com>
> Subject: [EM] Approval ballots. Two to elect. Best method?

Andy
wrote:

[….}

> Specifically, I'm worried that in practically every approval-ballot PR

> method, if there is a candidate you really like, but are sure that she can

> get elected without your vote, you gain an advantage by not approving

> them. Is there any method that minimizes that incentive?

> ~ Andy

S:  Associational Proportional Representation
(APR) solves this problem by giving each elected member of the legislative
assembly a “weighted vote” exactly equal to the number of voters who helped to
elect them.

Feel
free to ask me to send you the article that fully explains how APR would work.

Steve