[EM] Associational Proportional Representation (APR) (Kristofer Munsterhjelm) 26

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sat Nov 1 14:22:30 PDT 2014

Kristofer,

here's an example that gives an answer to your question about distance and
Condorcet when the issue space is not one dimensional:

Suppose that the population of a town is concentrated near the vertices of
an equilateral triangle with no single vertex having a majority of the
citizens in its vicinity, and that there are four proposed cites for a
community center X, Y, Z, and C, where  C is the center of the inscribed
circle, i.e. the intersection of the three angle bisectors, and  X, Y, and
Z are locations such that the respective sides of the triangle form
perpendicular bisectors of the segments CX, CY, and CZ.

Assuming that the voters like to be close to the community center, the
point C is the Condorcet preference.

But if we move X, Y, and Z to points X', Y', and Z' just a few yards closer
to C along the segments XC, YC, ands ZC, respectively, C suddenly becomes
the Condorcet Loser., even though it still has a significantly smaller
average distance to the three vertices of the triangle than any of X', Y',
or Z'.

In this example we can use the distances from the voters to the candidate
positions as the potential costs to the voters, and the opposites of these
costs as the utilities.

Note that the example still works if the triangle is not equilateral. But
in the case of an equilateral triangle, when a majoritarian tie between X',
Y', and Z' is broken at random, the expected cost to a voter is about 33
percent greater than if point C is chosen.

Btw, for the benefit of those who think that single winner methods can
always be replaced by multi-winner PR methods (and I know you're lurking
out there!) any good single winner lottery method would select C with
certainty!  Any multi-winner PR method for choosing representatives to
figure out a solution would just be a way of procrastinating the journey
towards a failed solution.

Forest

On Sat, Nov 1, 2014 at 1:16 AM, Kristofer Munsterhjelm <km_elmet at t-online.de