[EM] New Criterion

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Tue May 20 11:23:38 PDT 2014

Forest,

I've been meaning to remind you: for  IRV and  Benham   (and Woodall and
similar) I'm strongly opposed to allowing voters to do any equal-ranking
apart from truncating because it makes Push-over strategizing much less
risky and more likely to succeed.

Two versions of ER-IRV have been discussed, one where an A=B ballot
gives a "whole vote" to each and one where it gives half a vote to each,
i.e,
ER-IRV(whole) and  ER-IRV(fractional).   The problem I referred to is
much worse for the former and so I consider the latter to less bad.

But if we insist on allowing above-bottom equal-ranking and don't mind a
lot of extra complexity, I have this suggestion:

*Before each elimination, order the candidates according to their
ER-IRV(fractional), (so that among continuing candidates a ballot that
equal-top
ranks n candidates give 1/n of a vote to each).

Then assign each of the ballots that equal-top rank more than one
candidate to whichever of them is highest in that order.

Then eliminate the candidate with the fewest ballots assigned to hir.*

34 A=B
31 B
35 C

So in this example of Forest's, to create the initial order the 34 A=B
ballots give half a vote each to A and B, to give the scores
B (31+17=48) > C35 > A17.

B is above A in this order, so all of the A=B ballots are assigned to B.
This gives the scores B65 > C35 > A0.  A has the lowest score so
A is eliminated and B wins.

Chris  Benham