[EM] margin vs winning votes

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Wed Jul 23 12:00:08 PDT 2014

> voting your favorite sincerely as first choice instead of not voting
> cannot make him lose while winning votes is the criteria.
> voting your favorite sincerely as first choice instead of not voting
> can make him lose while margin is the criteria.

Stephane,
I'd be interested in seeing that, because I think it's been shown that
Mono-add-Top (the property you refer to) is incompatible
with Smith, which is met by Winning Votes using Schulze, Ranked Pairs or
River.

Juho has promoted  MinMax(Margins), which does meet Mono-add-Top (and
Condorcet).

http://wiki.electorama.com/wiki/Mono-add-top_criterion

Looking at this my claim in my first sentence might be slightly wrong.
But Winning Votes meets both of  Condorcet and the
Plurality criterion, and (as it says on that page) Douglas Woodall has
shown that it therefore can't meet Mono-add-Top.

MinMax(Margins) fails both of  Plurality and Smith.

BTW, I don't like either of  Winning Votes or Margins. Of the
alternatives that are equivalent to both when all the voters give a
full strict ranking I think the best is  Losing Votes (erw). Ballots
that equal-rank candidates  A and B both above at least one other
candidate are counted in the pairwise contest between A and B as giving
a whole vote to each. Ballots that rank A and B equal-bottom
(or truncate A and B) count as zero to both in their pairwise contest.
The method considers that the greater the number of votes
on the losing side, the weaker the pairwise defeat.

And not limiting ourselves to alternatives that are equivalent to
Margins and Winning Votes (and Losing Votes) when all the voters
give a full strict ranking, I think better still is  "MinMax Losing
Votes (erw) Margins", which I first suggested in April this year.

http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2014-April/097935.html

Chris  Benham