[EM] MinMax Losing Votes (equal-ranking whole) Margins

C.Benham cbenham at adam.com.au
Fri Apr 25 11:40:53 PDT 2014

This is my new idea for a Condorcet method that meets Mono-raise and
Chicken Dilemma and is relatively resistant
to Burial strategy.

*Voters rank from the top however many candidates they wish Truncation
and equal-ranking is allowed.

A pairwise matrix is created, giving normal gross scores except that
ballots that explicitly equal rank (not truncate) any two
candidates X and Y give a whole vote to each in that pairwise contest.

Using this information, give each alternative a score that equals the
smallest number of votes it received in a pairwise loss.

Henceforth we are only concerned with the direction of the pairwise
defeats and these individual candidate scores.

Use the Schulze algorithm, weighing each pairwise "defeat" by the
absolute margin of difference between the two candidates'
scores.  (Or use Ranked Pairs or River in the same way if you prefer).

Or use the candidate scores for the Margins Sort algorithm.*

This method uses the same type of pairwise matrix as a  Schulze (Losing
Votes) variant I suggested earlier. I think this is much
better.

46 A
44 B>C (sincere is B or B>A)
05 C>A
05 C>B

A>B 51-49,  B>C  44-10,  C>A 54-46.   MinMax (Losing Votes) scores:
B49,  A46,  C10.

The method I suggested earlier elects the buriers' candidate B,  but my
new method elects A (the "sincere CW").

The Margins Sort version begins with the MM(LV) order B>A>C, then
notices that the two adjacent candidates with the two most
similar scores are B and A and that A pairwise beats B, so flips that
order and then considers A>B>C and then sees that there for each
pair of adjacent candidates, the one higher in the order pairwise beats
the one lower in the order and so is content and elects the now
highest-ordered candidate.

The other versions look at the pairwise results weighted thus:  A > B
(46-49 = -3)   B>C (49-10 = 39)   C>A (10-46 = -36).

A's pairwise defeat score (negative 36) is by far the lowest so A wins.

Chris Benham