[EM] FW: Google Alert - "proportional representation"

Dick Burkhart dickburkhart at comcast.net
Sat Feb 8 22:43:06 PST 2014

Your method of clustering is interesting but I am computing much more
general clusters. These may be formed around slates of 2 or more candidates,
especially for larger groups that may elect 2 or more candidates. Also I am
using methods of continuous mathematics as well as discrete. For example, I
represent a group by a mean vector (of rankings or ratings) and its
corresponding sigma vector (or, more generally, its covariance matrix). I
measure similarity by ordinary correlation (dot product). This means that a
given ballot (or a consolidation of ballots with the same top rankings) may
be correlated to more than one cluster, hence have partial membership in
more than one cluster, with the "fuzzy set" restriction that the sum of the
memberships of a given ballot over all the clusters may not exceed 1.
Ballots are put partially or fully in a group of "independent voters" when
they are not fully assigned to the clusters.

These clusters will themselves often overlap to some degree and there must
be a correlation parameter which either keeps them separate or allows them
to merge. This happens during the convergence of the clusters (a non-linear
iterative process) since whenever new cluster mean and sigma vectors are
computed (simultaneously over all clusters), then the membership of the
ballots in the clusters changes, hence the next mean and sigma vectors as
well.

This approach helps to reveal the complexity (as in chaos theory, sensitive
dependence, etc.) that is part of all voting methods but which normally only
reveals itself in the form of anomalous results or through careful analysis
of special cases. I can play with certain parameters to see whether the
resulting groups are stable or if there are alternative groupings which are
almost as good. As such I am not focused on the long lists of voting
criteria that experts use, but on overall statistical performance,
acknowledging that it will always be the case that occasionally even very
small changes in a parameter or in the set of ballots will cause
significantly different results. Rather my goal is reduce the frequency and
severity of such anomalous results.

Dick Burkhart
4802 S Othello St,  Seattle, WA  98118
206-721-5672 (home)  206-851-0027 (cell)
dickburkhart at comcast.net