[EM] FW: Google Alert - "proportional representation"

Richard Fobes ElectionMethods at VoteFair.org
Mon Feb 10 09:41:42 PST 2014

On 2/8/2014 10:43 PM, Dick Burkhart wrote:
> ... As such I am not focused on the long lists of voting
> criteria that experts use, but on overall statistical performance,
> acknowledging that it will always be the case that occasionally even very
> small changes in a parameter or in the set of ballots will cause
> significantly different results. Rather my goal is reduce the frequency and
> severity of such anomalous results.

Well said.  We need to look beyond fairness criteria as a checklist with
just yes-or-no values, and increase our understanding of "frequency" --
how often each election method fails each criterion.

(As I see it, the issue of "severity" interacts with the contentious
issue of prioritizing the importance of the criteria.)

Richard Fobes