[EM] Chain Climbing - (aside) Mutual exclusion between decision and reason

Michael Allan mike at zelea.com
Mon Apr 28 00:28:57 PDT 2014

Kristofer Munsterhjelm said:
> I think I read of something like that as well, but I can't remember
> just where. The closest I *can* remember is a paper about
> computational hardness in manipulating election methods, where the
> authors said that all methods that pass a certain weak type of
> monotonicity can be easily manipulated. But I think it was Warren
> who said that these results aren't important in any case because in
> most real world elections, there are only a few candidates and thus
> every method is easily manipulable if you know every other vote.

Still, it seems important in theory.

> Perhaps one could consider votes in assembly to constitute the
> decisive method and votes for the representatives to be the rational
> method. ...

Yes, or something on those lines.  The laws decided by an *un-elected*
legislature are (from the viewpoint of the citizen who must obey them)
absolutely irrational.  It follows that a pairing with elections must
bring in *some* reason.

> I'm unsure of how to generalize this to say, delegate proxy systems,
> however.

For me, that's where I'm coming from.  I'm led to induce a general
principle based on my particular experience with transitive voting
systems.  Every attempt to extract a decision seems to undermine the
function (true, truthful expression) of the system.  Yet left alone,
it seems to run perfectly.

I haven't read much decision theory, but was thinking we might *also*
approach it in terms of reason.  Kant says reason depends on freedom.
While freedom is objectively impossible in nature (all locked up in
chains of cause and effect), reason must nevertheless *subjectively*
view itself as free. *

Decision destroys freedom.  That's its purpose, to eliminate all
freedom within its scope.  It follows that decision and reason are
mutually exclusive.  Reason can reason about decision, and without it,
but never within it, nor through it.  Reason itself cannot be
decisive, nor can a decision itself be rational.  Yet, side by side,
and independently, the two *can* be in agreement.

--
Mike

 * Immanuel Kant.  1785.  Groundwork of the Metaphysics of Morals.
   Translated by Mary Gregor and Jens Timmermann, 2012. Cambridge
   University Press.  4:446-63

      Reason must view herself as the authoress of her principles,
      independently of alien influences, and must consequently, as
      practical reason, or as the will of a rational being, by herself
      be viewed as free... From this stem all judgements about actions
      such that they *ought* to have been *done* even if they *were
      not done*.  (4:448, 55)

   http://books.google.ca/books?id=qfyKv1a-lPAC