[EM] Chain Climbing

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km_elmet at t-online.de
Sun Apr 27 02:41:47 PDT 2014

On 04/27/2014 06:24 AM, Michael Allan wrote:
> Forest Simmons said:
>> You are absolutely right about the heart of the Chicken Dilemma;
>> there is no way to tell from the above ballot set alone who the real
>> winner should be, because different sincere scenarios lead to the
>> same set of ballots. ...
>>
>> Where do we go from here?
>
> I suspect that a system (here an electoral decision system) cannot be
> both rational (sincere, anomaly free) and decisive at the same time.

I think I read of something like that as well, but I can't remember just
where. The closest I *can* remember is a paper about computational
hardness in manipulating election methods, where the authors said that
all methods that pass a certain weak type of monotonicity can be easily
manipulated. But I think it was Warren who said that these results
aren't important in any case because in most real world elections, there
are only a few candidates and thus every method is easily manipulable if
you know every other vote.

> I have no formal proof.  But I think we must step outside the decision
> system.  It takes a combination of systems - one rational, say, and
> one decisive - brought into a mutual relation in order to act (elect)
> both rationally and decisively.

Another option is to weaken the impact. If the election is multi-winner,
it might be possible for a group of voters to manipulate the method for
some of the winners, but not all of them. In contrast, in a
single-winner election, if the strategizers succeed, they win it all.

Although Sainte-Laguë degrades to Plurality when there's only one seat
and thus is based on it, talk of strategy isn't nearly as prevalent here
as it is in the US (which has a Plurality single-winner election and
single-member districts).

Perhaps one could consider votes in assembly to constitute the decisive
method and votes for the representatives to be the rational method. I've
also seen papers argue that in-assembly votes work more like game theory
predicts (at least for smaller assemblies) and so that equilibrium
results that predict the Condorcet winner of a proposal will be elected
are more applicable there.

I'm unsure of how to generalize this to say, delegate proxy systems,
however.