[EM] TACC (total approval chain climbing) example

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Apr 21 19:40:45 PDT 2014

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 2:39 PM, C.Benham <cbenham at adam.com.au> wrote:

>  Forest,
>

> 48 C
> 27 A>B
> 25 B
>

> Borda, TACC, and IRV based methods like Woodall and Benham elect C.
>
> But Borda is clone dependent, and the IRV style elimination based methods
> fail monotonicity.  So TACC is a leading contender if we really take the
> Chicken Dilemma seriously.
>

> Benham and Woodall are a lot more resistant  to Burial than TACC  (and
> other Condorcet methods that meet mono-raise, aka monotonicity) because
> they meet
> "Unburiable Mutual Dominant Third" that says that if a set S of candidates
> are all voted together on top of more than a third of the ballots (i.e. on
> more than a third of the ballots no other candidates are voted between or
> above them) and all the members of S pairwise beat all the non-member
> candidates, then the winner X must come from S  (so far the MDT criterion);
> and if some of the ballots that vote any Y above X are altered by further
> lowering X then if the winner is changed it can't be to Y.
>
> 34 A>B
> 17 C>A
> 16 B>C
> 33 B
>
> A>B 51-49,  A>C 34-33,  B>C 83-17
>
> A is the DMT winner, but if  2 of the 33 B ballots are changed to B>C then
> TACC  (like some better methods)  elects B.
>
> Also, for what it's worth, Benham and Woodall have no zero-info.
> truncation incentive, and little informed truncation incentive. IRV has
> none.
>
> Whenever there are 3-candidates in a  cycle, TACC always elects the
> candidate that pairwise beats the least approved candidate (which strikes
> me as weird and arbitrary).
> If the approval order is A>B>C and the pairwise results go  A>B>C>A, then
> TACC  will elect B.
>
> That is a violation of a criterion (I like) that says that the winner
> can't be pairwise-beaten by a more approved candidate. (You may have had a
> name for it).

We talked about this before, and I agreed with you on that.  But that was
before I started taking the Chicken Dilemma seriously.

Now look at this cycle  A > B > C > A with the approval order A>B>C.

On this information alone we might say that A is strong because it doubly
beats B, both in approval and pairwise.  However, when we realize that
A is pairwise beaten by the weakest candidate C, and is on the losing end
of a short beat path from B, some of the wind is taken from her sails.

> A much better method that meets Chicken Dilemma, Condorcet and Mono-raise
> is  Approval Margins. We determined that it is equivalent to suggestion of
> yours, "Approval Margins Sort".
> From early (probably March) 2005, does this ring a bell?

Yes, it rings a loud bell.  I'll have to revisit it in the context of the
chicken dilemma.