[EM] acceptable Chicken Proof methods (was chain climbing)

Forest Simmons fsimmons at pcc.edu
Mon Apr 28 15:53:47 PDT 2014

Kristopher,

you suggested ratings or grading, including MJ as possibilities.

But these cannot (at least in their present forms) be chicken proof.

For example MJ would give the win to B as long as the A faction gives B any
grade x less than or equal to the top grade but strictly greater than the
bottom grade:

40 C(100%)
34  A(100%), B(x)
26  B(100%)

So the B faction could defect with impunity.

Range does better since it would elect C for sufficiently small x and would
elect B for sufficiently large x, but it may fail to to elect A even when
the B faction cooperates:

40 C(100)
34 A(100), B(20)
26 B(100), A(20).

Also, if we go for explicit (as opposed to implicit) approval cutoffs, I
withdraw my support for TACC, since with explicit approval it fails the
plurality criterion:  In fact it elects A from the ballot set

40 C
35 A>>B
25 B

So now, my top choices are Chris Benham's Min(LV)(equal ranking
Whole)Margins in the case of no approval information, and
Condorcet(approval margins) or Majority Enhanced Approval when explicit
approval cutoffs are allowed.

Forest