[EM] Beatpath vs Ranked-Pairs

Michael Ossipoff email9648742 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 12:54:34 PDT 2013

 Hi Jobst--

I'll check out those postings and discussions that you linked to.

You, Steve, and Markus know more about the properties of those 3
methods than I do.  My evaluation of them is more like that of a
shopper.

What I do know is that RP (in which I include MAM) and River are much
more briefly defined and motivationally-justified than CSSD/Beatpath
is.  Between River and RP, of course RP is marginally briefer, due to
having only one rejection-criterion instead of two. But that doesn't
make River significantly more complicated than RP.

...And  know that Steve found, via simulations, that RP chooses winner
that are preferred to Beatpath's winners vastly more often than
Beatpath' winners are preferred to RP's winners.

Of course ideally we'd honor every public pairwise decision (PPD),
every pairwise-defeat. Pragmatically, we can't always honor all PPDs,
because, with a top-cycle, we wouldn't be able to elect anyone. So
it's only with reluctance that we ignore a PPD.

Pragmatism doesn't require ignoring a PPD because it contradicts a PPD
that doesn't defeat anyone, and does't disqualify anyone from winning.
So, when RP drops a defeat that makes someone defeated, and has an
effect, because it contradicts a defeat that doesn't make anyone
defeated (because they already are defated), and doesn't have an
effect, that isn't justified by pragmatic need, and it's contrary to
the principle of honoring as many PPDs as possible. So River adheres
to that principle better than RP does.

...But then, CSSD/Beatpath seems to adhere to it better still, because
it only disregards the minimum number of defeats, only as many of the
weakest defeats as need to be dropped to produce a winner.

Therefore it surprises me that Beatpath did worse, in terms of
collective public wishes. But it did, and that's what matters.

River's compliane with Indepenence from Pareto-Dominated Alternatives
certainly counts for it. I'll have to read about Steve's criterion
about avoiding majority-complaints.

So I'm going to look at those postings and discussions that you linked to.

Michael Ossipoff