[EM] Beatpath vs Ranked-Pairs

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Fri Oct 25 02:56:52 PDT 2013

Dear Michael,

I'm happy you took the time to read that lengthy old post. I must admit
it has been years since I thought about this type of method before
focussing on democratic (as opposed to majoritarian) methods.

You description of River is correct: It is Ranked Pairs without locking
in defeats against already-defeated options.

The main advantages in my current view are these:

- When a defeat is rejected because it would create a cycle, the
rejection is easier to justify if the other defeats on the cycle were
influencing the result (because they defeated a not-yet-defeated option)
when they were locked in.

- River (but neither Beatpath nor Ranked Pairs) fulfils Steve's IPDA
criterion: Adding a Pareto-dominated alternative doesn't change the result.

- River also fulfils the stronger ISDA criterion (see that same post,
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2004-April/012772.html)
and the related IWDA criterion (see
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2004-November/014156.html).
All three criteria are forms of strategy-proofness since they mean one
cannot manipulate the result by adding irrelevant "bad" options as "noise".

- River allows an easier graphical representation of the result and its
justification since it produces a tree of defeats (instead of a more
complex acyclic graph of defeats as Ranked Pairs does), which can
readily be layed out in a diagram (together with some additional
information, see River+ in the above post) and allows a nice
metaphorical interpretation as a river system that flows towards the winner.

- River can thus be applied more easily in an interactive way in small
groups (see my April 10, 2004 post:
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2004-April/012701.html)
or using pen and paper from a large defeat matrix (see
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2004-October/014149.html).

- River does however fail Steve's I2C criterion:
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2004-October/014130.html

Regarding other strategy-related criteria I believe not much has been
investigated, but this later summary post might shed some light on it:
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2004-September/013971.html

River can be made robust against compromising and burying by combining
it with approval information, as discussed in my "attempt of a grand
compromise":
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2004-October/014071.html.
Even further, when defeat strength is defined as the approval of the
defeating candidate, then River, Beatpath, and Ranked Pairs are all
equivalent to DMC:
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2005-March/015465.html.
See here for a nice example:
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2005-May/015873.html.

Regarding simulations I must admit that I don't remember the details and
have probably deleted the data by now, so we have to go by what I wrote
back then:

> Example with 10 options, no uncertainty (that is, no truncated ballots),
> and L=0.4 (that is, with some correlation between voters preferences):
> In only about 1% of the cases, the River winner differed from both
> Beatpath and MAM winner, and in only about 0.5% Beatpath and MAM were
> the same but River was not. In contrast, in about 5% of the cases, River
> and MAM were the same but Beatpath was not, and also in about 5% of the
> cases, River and Beatpath were the same but MAM was not. There were only
> about 11% of the cases where the Immune set was not a singleton. That
> is, in almost *all* cases where there were more than one immune element,
> MAM and Beatpath chose different winners. In other words, whenever they
> are "immunologically allowed" to choose differently, it seems they
> almost certainly do...

>From this I concluded that River is a good "compromis" between Beatpath
and MAM aka Ranked Pairs since it agrees more often with each of them
then they agree with each other.

To see this in more detail, I listed all non-trivial four-option cases
and compared the three methods here (using the name Tideman for Ranked
Pairs):
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2004-May/012838.html
It shows that only in 0.7% of the situations, River chose differently
than both other methods, while in 6% [7%] of the cases Ranked Pairs
[Beatpath] chose differently than both other methods.

Another interesting example where I discussed a lot of methods including
those three is here:
http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/2004-October/014145.html

This summarizes all I was able to remember about River :-)

Best, Jobst