[EM] Approval vs. IRV

Eric Gorr eric at ericgorr.net
Fri Oct 15 11:57:57 PDT 2004

At 11:05 AM -0700 10/15/04, Brian Olson wrote:
>The variations I implemented were obviously rational and fair to
>me. I may need some convincing of other variations. I think I'm
>allergic to the use of randomness in election methods, so I don't
>plan on implementing such an option.

Well, the three methods of handling of tied candidates for least
votes are the three that seem to be the most popular. In actual
proposed implementations of IRV for government elections, the only
two I believe you will find are Random elimination and Deterministic
(eliminate all of them) elimination. As near as I can determine,
including Random elimination is required - I don't like it either.

I included Prior Round Totals only because DemoChoice.org argues for
it and they seem to be a leader in IRV advocacy.

I have considered explicitly implementing Eppley's RHV as well to
determine who to eliminate.

--
== Eric Gorr ========= http://www.ericgorr.net ========= ICQ:9293199 ===
benefit and harm." - Sun Tzu