[EM] Fwd: Is it professional?

David L Wetzell wetzelld at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 10:08:32 PDT 2013

Hi Ben, 1)  they get to vote or rank up to 3 candidates.  If someone only
wants one candidate to win they need not rank others or if they only had
time to learn about two or three and only really liked one or two of those
candidates then they could rank one or two of them.

2 and 3 are right.

Yes, if your top 3 were not among the top 3 for everyone then your vote
would count in the first stage, not the final stage.  And yes that could
lead to some strategic voting, but there'd be less of such.   And this
would not be a common phenomenon if the top 3 are genuinely more
competitive candidates.  In Warren's example, only 2/37 votes didn't have
one of the top 3 candidates among their top three candidates.  That's
basically 5.4% and that was with a system where all seven candidates had a
priori equal chances of being the final winner, not a realistic assumption.
dlw

dlw