[EM] Someone thinks that Approval should meet the Mutual Majority Criterion

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 11:56:21 PDT 2013

2013/6/6 Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <abd at lomaxdesign.com>

> Another issue that was left a bit hanging in discussions on the CES list:
>
> Does top-two Approval fail the Favorite Betrayal Criterion? There are
> really two forms of top-two Approval to be considered, plus a third detail.
>
> 1. Top two approval where two candidates advance to the general election.

This fails FBC. I am sympathetic to Abd's arguments about how the
electorate will change based on preference strength, and how well-informed
voters will tend to find a way to avoid FBC failure, but that doesn't mean
that it passes the criterion, merely that the failure is minor.

> 2. Top two approval where a candidate with a majority can win, otherwise
> two candidates advance.

Still fails, although it's slightly better.

> 3. If write-in votes are allowed in the runoff, the primary is actually a
> nomination device, not the actual election. The actual election being
> Approval, the combination must satisfy FBC if Approval does, and it does.

This is true... but only if there's a hard threshold for making it to the
second round. That is, "all candidates with over 1/3 approval advance", or
some such; and if there are fewer than 2 such candidates, the highest
approval wins in the first round.