[EM] Fwd: Is it professional?

David L Wetzell wetzelld at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 08:19:12 PDT 2013

To: Benjamin Grant <benn at 4efix.com>

Most IRV in real world limits the rankings to 3 candidates per voter.
In my approach, I treat the rankings as approval votes in the first round
and tally up the number of times each candidate gets "ranked" to determine
3 finalists.There are 10 ways to rank 3 finalists so I sort the votes into
these 10 categories, tally them up and use the info to have an instant
runoff vote among the 3 finalists.

Ben, this is the approach that I said gave the same result for all of the
cases you brought up in your initial email to the list, which illustrated
why you thought IRV was flawed.
dlw