[EM] Participation Criteria and Bucklin - perhaps they *can* work together after all?

Benjamin Grant benn at 4efix.com
Mon Jun 17 09:06:58 PDT 2013

It occurred to me that the reason we are failing the Participation Criteria
with Bucklin in the below example:

49: X:1st   Y:4th

50: X:5th   Y:4th

Y wins.

Now we add two votes:

2: X:3rd   Y:2nd

X wins.

is because we are letting people skip grades/places.  Or to put another way,
if we asked the voters under Bucklin to fill out each ballot more strictly,
ranking 1st through Nth where there are N candidates - I know that several
do not like this approach, *but* my question is this - does *strictly
ranked* Bucklin fail Participation??

49: X:1st   Y:2nd

50: X:2nd   Y:1st

Y wins on 1st round.

Now we add two votes:

2: X:2nd   Y:1st

Y still wins on first round.

In other words, I *think* what's bringing in the issues with Participation
is the gaps in the ranking the first approach permits.

Is it?

If so, it may be that Bucklin can be quite Participation compliant, so long
as you take certain steps like mandating a ranked order among your choices
on the ballot.

-Benn Grant

eFix Computer Consulting

 <mailto:benn at 4efix.com> benn at 4efix.com