[EM] [CES #9013] Re: EMAV?

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 10:32:45 PDT 2013

I responded with a new subject header because I was still hoping that Abd
would respond to my earlier post, copied below:

----

Abd:

Frankly, I'm a bit frustrated. One of the main reasons I proposed MAV in
the first place was that you seemed to support it. You've done a good job
expressing the advantages of Bucklin systems, and I wanted to get past the
point where I was talking about GMJ and you were talking about "Bucklin" as
an individual system, since the differences are trivial.

I still feel that way. Sure, I have an opinion on whether MAV or EMAV is
better (I prefer MAV). But the similarities are more important than the
differences. Unless we're all willing to give up on getting our own
personal ideal in every detail, we're never going to have enough unity to
make a difference. To put this in stark terms: I think it's far more of a
danger that voting reform will fail because of the picky disunity of people
proposing their personal best system, than that it will pass but lead to
some bad result because of a minor flaw in the system.

And it's clear that you do see the importance of the similarities, or you
wouldn't have dubbed your proposal EMAV.

So I'm willing to have a discussion about the relative advantages and
disadvantages of MAV versus EMAV. And I'm willing to commit to following
the majority consensus of that discussion; if, at the end of that
discussion, there are more voices in support of EMAV, then I will use EMAV
as my default second proposal (after approval). But I haven't yet heard a
similar commitment from you: when the topic is what comes after approval,
will you agree to try to show unity in what system you mention first,
rather than just rambling about whatever occurred to you most recently?

I'm sorry for the harsh language, but you should understand that focus is a
recurring issue with you. Politely addressing it only in its specific
manifestations seems not to work, so I'm consciously deciding to be more
forceful here. I hope you realize that I would not be doing this if I
didn't truly respect your intelligence and insight.

Jameson