[EM] Proposed bullet-voting prohibition criterion

Peter Gustafsson miningphd at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 30 08:30:11 PST 2013

Kristoffer:

Thanks for pointing out those possibilities for how a big party can instruct its voters on how to thwart the intent of this proposed criterion. Obviously, BVP is not sufficient to ensure the transition from a two-party environment to a multiparty environment. What are your ideas on how make a stronger set of criteria to that end?

As to your note about range voting: If the rule allows a vote in which one candidate gets 99 points, another 1 point, and all others get 0 points - then that is so close to bullet voting so that it should for all intents and purposes be considered such. I want the voting system to be designed so that valid votes are significantly different from a bullet vote.