[EM] proportional constraints - help needed

Jameson Quinn jameson.quinn at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 11:56:35 PST 2013

2013/2/6 Peter Zbornik <pzbornik at gmail.com>

> Jameson,
>
> I am not sure if we understand each other here.
> I am looking for an election system, where the quoted-in seat gives
> (or moves toward) a proportional distribution of the quoted-in gender.
> If we fix the seats which will be quoted-in at no. 2 and 5, the
> quoted-in gender will in some cases not be proportionally distributed,
> for instance when the same group of voters get both quoted-in
> candidates at places 2 and 5.

OK. I was responding to your initial statement of the problem, without this
additional proportionally-quoting-in constraint.

The issue with this constraint is that it is only meaningful if the
electorate is meaningfully separable into parties. If, on the other hand,
the electorate is in a 2D issue space, it's hard to see exactly what this
constraint even means. Thus I suspect no non-partisan system can be made to
fit this constraint. I could easily see how to meet this constraint with a
party list system (preferably open, because closed list systems are bad),
and possibly I could work it out with a pseudo-list system like PAL, but
with STV it looks to me like an impossible task.